Monday, January 30, 2012

George & Madge

Madeleine is named after my great aunt Madge.  Her full name was Madeline, but as far as I know it was pronounced the same as our Maddie's.  We didn't use that spelling b/c it would have driven me crazy to hear people say Mad-ah-LINE.  She is why I like to call Maddie "Madge".  I love how it sounds. Warm and sophisticated all at once.  My aunt died the year I was born, but I think she was a pretty cool lady.  In all the stories she seems so glamorous.  She was the sister of my Grandma Hurst and my Auntie Betty (who IS the coolest lady I know).   In my mind she was glamorous like a film star.  I feel like she wore high heels with feathers on the toes around the house.

The man with her is her brother, George.  He also looks like a movie star to me.  So handsome.  I'm pretty sure he was a lady's man.  He died in the war and is buried overseas.  These are two people that I wish I could have met.  I wish I could go back in time to this picture and meet them then.  Maybe have a martini with my aunt.  Smoke a cigarette.  Hang out in black and white. I bet they were funny.  They look like they knew how to laugh.  (ok, maybe not in this picture, you'll just have to trust me).


2 comments:

  1. She looks very Kathryn Hepburn-y.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I have been enjoying reading your blog again :D
    p.s. I tagged you in my recent post: http://ruffruminations.blogspot.com/2012/02/eleven-eleven-1111-ruff-ruminations.html

    Please play along :D

    ReplyDelete