Ok. Its your turn, kids.
I would like a short list of your favorite authors and books. You know, those comfort books you like to read when everything around you is too much.
Rules:
1. You must have read a book by this author.
2. If you name a book you better have read it.
3. Books will not be accepted if they are about sad things. No sad things allowed. I realize this makes it tricky since i still cry at the end of the littelest hobo. And i bawled at "UP". Basically nothing bad about children, animals, and gloomy. The girl should get the guy. There can be suspense, there can even be a murder (as long as it isnt a puppy).
I know you all cant comment on here, or if you are too shy (snort, as if) . . . Then go ahead and send me an email. Y'all dont seem to have a problem emailing me when i havent posted in 72 hours.
Oh, i forgot rule 4
4. EASY READ. If you were about to email me "Tess of the Dubervilles" well you can just try again.
Thanks for playing.
Night,
J
One of my most favorite books is Quite an Undertaking: The story of Violet Guymer, Canada's first female licensed funeral director. Sounds a bit morbid I realize, but truly is fascinating. This book was written by Violet's daughter and Granddaughter. All three women lived in The Pas at one time or another. As a matter of fact, one of the people my son is named after is Violet's daughter - Lori Guymer-Hutton.
ReplyDeleteAnita Shreve is my guilty pleasure, easy read, go to author.
ReplyDeleteI did however read a Jodi Piccoult over Xmas - it was a sad one so I wouldn't recommend it, but it was an easy read/engrossing, so you might want to try something other than the one about the kid with OI. I think she is formulaic but they aren't all as tragic as this one
Also there is one by Myrna Dey (from Kamsack)...can't remember the title, but it's an RCMP type mystery and she's local and knows people you know... as I type, I think it's called "Extensions"
On that note, I'm stuck. I'm looking for something too but can't focus long enough to get myself out of a paper bag....sigh
I'd suggest the help, but that's already taken. Have you read the whole "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series. Good reads, some violence and murder, but draw you in to the story power. The third one is the most difficult because of all the damn swedish names!
My no seriousness, only fluff books:
ReplyDeleteUndomestic Goddess - Sophie Kinsella
Belong to Me - Marisa de los Santos (Love Walked In is a good one too)
The Book of Tomorrow - Cecilia Ahern
Garden Spells - Sarah Addison Allen (she has a couple more but I haven't read them...)
Jane Austen Ruined My Life - Beth Pattillo
OR
My true go-to, easy read books. Teen Fiction. Other than the "big" series (Hunger Games, etc.), I've loved these ones lately.
The Daughter of Smoke and Bone - Taylor Laini
A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness (it isn't teen, but it's made of awesomeness)
The Scorpio Races - Maggie Stiefvater
Divergent - Veronica Roth
Graceling - Kristin Cashore
Anything by Jennifer Crusie. Easy reads, usually romantic comedy kind of thing and every book has an adorable animal character in it. Also lately when I just need a mind numb I have been reading the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich, they are surprisingly good and addictive like a soap opera.
ReplyDeleteOK So I am not a deep reader as I fall asleep quiet easily BUT, I just finished reading a couple of books. Tina Fey's Bossypants which I know is not a novel but... and The Horse Keepers, hmm, is that the name oh shoot cant remember. Oh well, I will begin reading Rob Lowes Bio this week, love that stuff.
ReplyDeleteok, skip Picoult...it will be too much - now that I've read a few, I notice a reoccurring theme. On the other hand, have you read Jann Arden's memoir? Mom just loaned it to me but I haven't read it yet.
ReplyDelete