Settle in kids, b/c I'm going to tell you about my favorite Snow Day memory, other than today, of course.
In high school it snowed quite a bit one winter (well probably every winter), but there was a day in grade 10 or so when the buses didn't run b/c it was so cold and there was so much snow. Steph literally lived a shortcut walk beside someone's house to school. I was on the other side of town, but still about a 15 min walk in reality. (maybe 30? why can't I remember this?)
Anyway, clearly the buses weren't running so we sure as heck weren't going to school. Why should we suffer just b/c our parents didn't have the foresight to be farmers and thus provide the Snow Day opportunity? Nope, no school for Steph and me.
But no school doesn't mean that you stay home all day all by yourself. NO. Don't be ridiculous. Why would we do that? It means head over to Jenn's house for the day. 'Member how I said I was about 15-30 min walk (must have been closer to 30, or else I walked faster when I was 15) to my house and Steph was about 38 seconds from school? So of course we would pick my house. But to make it fair, I met her halfway (by Chicken Delight) so that we would both have to walk the same amount.
Steph has always been the Queen of Winter Wear. I bet, if you called her right now she would say "why yes, I do have long underwear on". She was so bundled that day that I walked right by her and turned around to go home thinking she didn't come. Didn't even recognize her. And then when this mound of jackets and pants started yelling in a muffled way I thought "why is that old lady yelling at me?".
Long story short, I caught on it was her. We walked back to my house together. Or at least I think that's what we did, can't really remember the rest. My mind is going at the tender age of 36. Sigh.
------
I told Maddie she couldn't watch anymore TV today. She didn't say a word, just left the room, headed directly to Jason's office where she set up camp. Apparently TV is allowed in there. That's where they are right now. Eating their supper. It's cute really. And gives me peace and quiet so am I going to complain? Hell no.
In high school it snowed quite a bit one winter (well probably every winter), but there was a day in grade 10 or so when the buses didn't run b/c it was so cold and there was so much snow. Steph literally lived a shortcut walk beside someone's house to school. I was on the other side of town, but still about a 15 min walk in reality. (maybe 30? why can't I remember this?)
Anyway, clearly the buses weren't running so we sure as heck weren't going to school. Why should we suffer just b/c our parents didn't have the foresight to be farmers and thus provide the Snow Day opportunity? Nope, no school for Steph and me.
But no school doesn't mean that you stay home all day all by yourself. NO. Don't be ridiculous. Why would we do that? It means head over to Jenn's house for the day. 'Member how I said I was about 15-30 min walk (must have been closer to 30, or else I walked faster when I was 15) to my house and Steph was about 38 seconds from school? So of course we would pick my house. But to make it fair, I met her halfway (by Chicken Delight) so that we would both have to walk the same amount.
Steph has always been the Queen of Winter Wear. I bet, if you called her right now she would say "why yes, I do have long underwear on". She was so bundled that day that I walked right by her and turned around to go home thinking she didn't come. Didn't even recognize her. And then when this mound of jackets and pants started yelling in a muffled way I thought "why is that old lady yelling at me?".
Long story short, I caught on it was her. We walked back to my house together. Or at least I think that's what we did, can't really remember the rest. My mind is going at the tender age of 36. Sigh.
------
I told Maddie she couldn't watch anymore TV today. She didn't say a word, just left the room, headed directly to Jason's office where she set up camp. Apparently TV is allowed in there. That's where they are right now. Eating their supper. It's cute really. And gives me peace and quiet so am I going to complain? Hell no.
I remember that day. I think we met as we were cutting through between the United Church and the Masons Hall. It was cold but seriously when did that ever stop us? And no I am not wearing long underwear today although the maternity pants do come up to my boobs so maybe that counts as long underwear?
ReplyDelete