Sunday, August 03, 2014

Getting Stuck

All families have their traditions.  

One of ours was Getting Stuck.  For reasons that still remain a mystery to me, my Dad would load my brother and me up in our old truck and off we'd go to some horrible road and drive down it.  And then get stuck.  

This will likely come as a shock, (#betternot) but I was a pretty anxious kid.  The idea of getting stuck ON PURPOSE was pure hell for me.  I mean, what if we were stuck FOREVER???  I just didn't get it.  

So today Britt says, "want to go on a little Jeep tour?".  It took me a long time to realize we were Going to Go Get Stuck.  (Ok, I didn't realize this was the goal until we actually got stuck the first time, then it all came crashing back to me).  I should have known something was up when he said Maddy couldn't come.  He takes her everywhere.  

About 3 seconds before we Got Stuck the first time (it happened at least 5 more times) Britt said, "this is the place where I was stuck for 6 hours.  

SIX HOURS? Are you KIDDING ME?  

How am I even related to these people?  

Luckily, the years have been kind to me.  And so has medication.  So I knew we wouldn't spend the rest of our lives stuck in the mud.  And we likely weren't going to die.  Although it was touch and go until we found the Muskol.  I came close to dying from mosquito bites.  

On this little adventure I saw amazing mushrooms (for Treena), some kind of fungis that looks like coral, wild blueberries, and two waterfalls.  Of course we couldn't stop and explore and take pictures.  Noooo, this was not THAT kind of adventure.  So I took mental pictures.  Which are just as good but much harder to instgram or blog.

"But Jenn, why didn't you just take pictures from the Jeep?"  

Obviously you have never been on a Jeep Adventure.  Would you seriously take out your shiny new iPhone while this thing is moving?


No.  Please note the absence of walls and a roof.  I'm fairly sure it is worse inside than than out.  The cup holders are full of muddy water.  But see that beautiful winch on the front?  That's the reason I'm not snuggled up taking selfies wtith a black bear right now.  That winch is the difference between 1982 and today.  

Dear Progress,
You're beautiful.
Love, Jenn

I did manage to get a quick picture when the jeep was not moving. 







No comments:

Post a Comment