Jason cracks up at the thought of this being any type of "food blog". And he does sort of have a point. I mean, let's face it, if it can be cooked, I can burn it. But...
Randa gave me this recipe for an energy snack. After I made my first batch I realized I was basically making GORP from my Girl Guide Days (Good Ol' Raisins and Peanuts). Dee-LISH. I'm pretty much hooked now and just made batch number two. My family does not share my enthusiasm, so here's what I do: I mix up the stuff, roll it into balls (like a bit smaller than a golf ball) and throw them in the freezer. In the morning I grab one or two and put them in my lunch bag for my snack. Instant energy treat Just For Me.
But, I do hope Maddie will develop a taste for them bc I think they would be a perfect snack for recess. Like most schools, it's Peanut Free Zone. Both Allison and Randa (maybe even Patti?) have suggested Sun Butter. Couldn't find it at the Co-op today (wonder if that's Superstore type of thing?) but I did find something called WOWbutter. Tastes 95% like peanut butter. Probably tastes 100% like "natural" peanut butter. Made from not peanuts. Seems to be a soy based product? Not sure if this is good or bad. Thoughts? I tried it, they taste the same. I also added pumpkin seeds b/c I read somewhere they are a Power Snack. And at 10 a.m. Momma needs her some power.
Oh, here's the recipe:
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup toasted coconut flakes(I use regular)
1/2 cup chic chips
1/2 cup peanut butter (sun butter?) - "wowbutter"
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
I think you will have to go to health food store for the sun butter. We buy ours as a fundraiser for Alexa's daycare. They serve it then sell it for fundraising. We get a giant container and it lasts for a year in the fridge.
ReplyDeleteSound interesting. I could try it and see if Matthew will eat them. He has just recently decided that PB might be edible. I'm sure one of the cool kids at daycare eats it.
ReplyDelete