Monday, September 03, 2012

100 Years of Home

Our friends, Mandy and Jared had a party to celebrate their 100 year old house.  The idea of the party was to dress up in your "favorite decade from the last 100 years". 

Stop.  You had me at Dress Up. 

In my mind I  immediately gathered a modest collection of "props" to deliver to Mandy's house.  In reality of course, I dropped them off the day before. As for my favorite decade?  In the last 100 years?   

Of course I have given this some thought, long before the party invite.  You see, I have always believed I was likely born at the wrong time, or at the very least I needed to access some kind of time machine.  As a little girl my career ambition involved growing up to work (in full costume) at Lower Fort Garry in Winnipeg (like Heritage Park or the WDM for you AB/SK kids).  I even found a camp in the states on the east coast where you lived like a pioneer. HOW GREAT WOULD THAT BE?  My parents were, as usual, very supportive of this camp idea.  They said I could go as soon as I saved up enough money.  They said the same thing about my requests for: a pair of real ballerina pointe shoes, a feather boa, and a waterbed. None of which I have ever owned. 

I have to tell you, up until I discovered Mad Men, I hadn't really been fond of anything in the last 100 years (except maybe the 50s and that was only for the poodle skirt).  What I loved were the
- 1860s (but only in the south, so I could be a southern belle and wear a hoop skirt)
- 1870-1880s (to live in the prairies with Laura Ingalls).
- 1850 - 1910ish (Victorian era)
It was all about big skirts, really.  My wedding dress was the one and only chance to wear a giant skirt and that is just what I did.

So anyway, what to wear to this party?  I felt that Mandy wasn't really set on it being your "FAVORITE" decade, and in fact -- let's be honest: I was probably the only one perseverating on that fact.  So I dug into the ol' Tickle Trunk to see what I could find. 

Unfortunately my personal geography seems to have changed slightly since I began my Tickle Trunk.  To say that there was "slim pickings" is true in more ways than one.  But I did manage to find a lovely outfit, and it came with a matching shirt for Jason.  He was So Delighted. 

I am sure this outfit came from my Grandpa and Grandma Butcher when they went to Hawaii, but I could be wrong. I know for sure it is handmade, and I know for sure it is from Hawaii (tag, and sewing).  And I also know that I must have bigger arms than my Grandma b/c it was a teeeensy bit tight.  Jason, beside himself with excitement, scampered off to the bathroom to carve a delightful (if not mildly appalling) handle bar mustache. Maddie wore an "olden day" dress from my childhood.  She looked fabulous, as always. 

What I loved best about this party was that people took it to heart!  They really worked on their outfits, it wasn't just a "wear tacky stuff and call it 80s" party.  There were grunge, hippies, rockers, 60s mod, and 40s glamour!  I don't think I have very many pictures, so hopefully I can get some from Mandy - they had a photo booth set up.

I'll put what I have here.  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment