Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Uncle Garnet

Jason and Brian (his cousin) gave the eulogy at Uncle Garnet's service.

This is what Jason wrote:

My Uncle Garnet

When I was asked to help with my uncle Garnet's eulogy I was honored as well as scared. I was scared that I couldn't write something about Uncle Garnet without leaving out important details and events of his life. Everybody here probably has different memories of Uncle Garnet. You are welcome to think about those while I ramble about mine. I can't tell you everything in one speech. Uncle Garnie was such a big part of my life, there are too many stories to tell today. But someone told me to write something from the heart and write what I know about him. That's what I'm going to try to do.

Garnet Markosky
Uncle Garnet
Uncle Garnie

I remember an uncle with the biggest voice. “HEY JAY, HOW YA DOING” he would always say to me. And in the next breath “How's that big girl of yours”.
 

As big and scary sounding Uncle Garnie was, he had a calming way about him. I remember one trip to the valley when Madeleine was a baby, she was crying and fussy for everyone. And then we handed her to Uncle Garnie and she stopped crying. She was so content with him. It was the same for me. Problems never seemed so bad once I was talking to him. Or I guess I should say when I was listening to him talk.

They probably didn't know it, but Uncle Garnet and my Dad were and are my most important teachers. They taught me how to
- hunt, and spot a deer
- skin a deer
- fish
- find deals at auctions
- and again, unknowing to them....curse

Uncle Garnet gave me my first real gun. A Cooey 22 single shot bolt action Rabbit gun. I remember the day clear as if it was yesterday. It was the annual dysfunctional Christmas supper at our house...how I miss those.... when Auntie Dodie and Uncle Garnet walked though the door. Uncle Garnie calls me over and hands me a box, I open it and with his big grumbly voice:
“Happy Birthday Jay!!”
"Great little gun, She's accurate as hell."


I shot so many rounds through that gun that I used to have to use my thumb to help push the bolt forward because the gun wouldn't fire anymore...Best birthday present I've ever received.

My favorite part of hunting trips was not actually the hunting. It was waiting for his phone call “Are you ready to go?” He and I would drive around “Kuwait” We called the Shelmouth area “Kuwait” b/c that's where Uncle Bob's big crew of hunters would go. All that shooting and deer flying, it seemed like a good name. As we drove around he would talk. And talk. And basically tell me the same stories year after year but I loved listening to him.

If you don't already know, all the Markoskys have the talking gene. Except me. I must have been given the listening gene for all of those stories. We would just sit for hours and he would talk. A day of hunting was hours of Uncle Garnet telling stories with about 60 seconds of sheer panic when a deer would come into view. “Holy BLEEP there's one. Get out and shoot it!” Oh by the way, he was the spotter. I was always the shooter when we were together.

The other night Dad told me there won't be a white truck waiting for us out in the field after the evening hunt. No, I guess there won't, but I know my Uncle Garnie will forever be with us in our hearts and thoughts, no matter where we are.

So long Uncle Garnie. I love you....We all love you. Keep the truck warm as I'm sure I'll see you again.

You're the best uncle a guy could have....

Jason Markosky
May 7, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment