Friday, May 04, 2012

Uncle Garnet





When I was in high school I was sure Uncle Garnet was the scariest man alive.  I mean really, he was this giant man, with a big cigar (I don't know if he actually had a big cigar but I always thought it suited him) and a booming voice.    I imagined he would have a big mafia accent and know people like "Jimmy Two Times".  And of course, I was sure he would "put a hit out" on me if I ever made a wrong step.

But then, not too long after that I discovered he was the biggest softie around.  Marshmallow?  In the dictionary you'll find his picture.  It wasn't long until he became my favorite uncle, even if it was by marriage. 

Uncle Garnet loved a good treasure.  He was a man after my own heart.  His place was a true treasure chest of goodies.  When we had a party for Ken and Marion's 40th wedding anniversary we held it in their yard.  Whenever Lisa and I would say "Uncle  Garnet, do you have _______"  he would say "How many do you want?".  And away we would go.  One of my favorite things over the years was to look through his eleventy billion sheds and discover so many wonderful goodies.  Those sheds are like paradise to me. 

Uncle Garnet also helped Marion and me start a bit of a family tree when Maddie was born.  He was able to fill some blanks for us.

In the top two pictures Maddie is still a baby.  I remember that day b/c Maddie was fussy for everybody, but as soon as Uncle Garnet got a hold of her she settled right down.  He had the touch. 

Good Bye Uncle Garnet.  We will miss you.  You are loved.

3 comments:

  1. thinking of you (((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear of your loss. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never knew Garnett but he sounds like he was a pretty cool guy. Sorry to hear he has left. Have been thinking of you this weekend as Mum told me you were heading back to Roblin. BIg hugs (bigger than Keely's)

    ReplyDelete