Monday, February 14, 2011

When I was growing up my dad always gave me a valentine.  Sometimes it was a rose in a little rose bowl (remember those?).  Other times it was a box of chocolates with a large plastic flower on the heart shaped box (which I thought was the most beautiful thing).

One year the florist mixed things up and sent me a dozen roses from my dad....and sent one rose to my mom.  Oops.

I also remember going to the Chinese restaurant in Killarney with my Dad. It was called Winkie's.  Oh, good ol' Winkie's and their chicken balls.  That was where my love of Small Town Chinese food was born.   I'm not sure if it was Valentine's or not, but I can remember it was just me and my dad.  And the owner (Mr. Winkie?) came by and talked to my dad.  I was sure my dad was some kind of celebrity if the owner of the restaurant talked to us.  I mean, really.

This year my dad gave me flowers.  Red and white daisies and carnations.  Thank you Dad.  Happy Valentine's Day.  

3 comments:

  1. I think his first name was Winkie. Winkie Aw?? Anywho, the restaurant is still there, although Winkie isn't. Do you remember New New's across the street? The owner always gave us free Bubbalicious gum after dinner. Mike, Jeff and I thought it was the best thing ever!
    I love your memories Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, his name was Winkie. But never mind the free bubbalicious from New New's....when my family went to Winkie's the adults got to take their own "adult tea" (wink wink, nudge nudge) and Winkie put it in his special tea pot and the adults got to drink it!! I remember it quite clearly :) Is Winkie still alive?? I remember thinking he had always had too much "adult tea".

    ReplyDelete
  3. How come all your posts make me cry? Even the yarn bamb one almost got tears.

    ReplyDelete